At Hecht & Associates, we recognize that child custody is your top priority as these judgments will shape your children’s future. These cases require experience and compassion, and our custody attorneys exist to ensure that an effective parental agreement can be met under the law or that the court makes the right judgment regarding the custodial arrangement. Significant factors play a role in determining custody for both short-term and long-term issues. It is important to answer questions such as where will your children go to school? What if one parent wants to relocate? This will avoid conflict during your children’s growing years. The custody lawyers at Hecht & Associates have experience working with every day custody cases as well as high conflict custody cases.
Whether our clients are seeking initial custody order, notification of custody/visitation, or adjudication of custody rights in foreign jurisdiction, the custody lawyers of Hecht & Associates have the resources and knowledge to achieve a successful result. They also have experience working with joint custody cases, whether they be high conflict or not.
Child Custody Agreements
Even if you and your spouse have agreed to the terms of custody for your children, it can be of great benefit to have the agreement assessed by a family law & custody attorney. A reliable custody agreement attorney will be able to determine whether the agreement is likely to be accepted by the court, close any loopholes and put it all into writing using the appropriate legal terminology. Before making a final decision on an agreement, contact a custody or joint custody lawyer for advice about how to proceed to protect both your interests and those of your children.
When an Agreement Cannot Be Reached
When an agreement over child custody and visitation rights cannot be reached with your spouse, a family law attorney is imperative in determining what is best for the children. Fighting over custody can be a taxing experience, and it is even more exhausting when facing the battle alone. With Hecht & Associates in your corner, you can be assured that a reliable custody agreement attorney is doing everything possible to ensure a desirable outcome in your child custody case. Our experienced joint custody attorneys have the expertise and compassion to ensure your case is fairly represented.
While both you and your spouse surely want what is best for the children, you may not be able to agree on what, exactly, that may be. If mediation fails, the matter must be brought before a judge who will weigh the arguments of both parties to make a final determination in the case, which will include the following:
• Physical custody – Physical custody involves who is obligated to provide a home for the children and to ensure they are clothed, fed and receive proper care.
• Legal custody – Legal custody is the determination of which parent is responsible for making long-term decisions about the children, including education, medical care and disciplinary matters.
• Visitation rights and holidays – If one parent has physical custody of the children, then visitation rights become an important issue. However, even when parents have joint custody, holidays and vacations can be divisive issues.
• Child support – Although child support is considered to be a separate matter, it is closely linked to custody, and a judge may make a determination of support in conjunction with a custody judgment.
Factors in Determining Child Custody
A judge will consider several factors when making a decision concerning child custody, and it is to your advantage to have an experienced custody attorney present who understands what goes into the final judgment. Some of the most important factors are as follows:
• Psychological and physical stability of the parents
• Reputation and personal character of the parents
• Ability of the parents to communicate and work together
• Desire of the parents to preserve and maintain the children’s natural family
• Preferences of the children
• Financial and material opportunities that may affect the lives of the children
Whether you and your spouse are in agreement or not, the experienced family law attorneys at Hecht & Associates are here to help. Our custody law firm has years of experience with child custody cases, and we understand how delicate and emotionally difficult these proceedings can be. We will fight diligently for the best interests of you and your children while doing our best to protect all of you from the emotional turmoil of divorce. Feel free to call our custody law office at 301-587-2099 or fill out our contact form to set up a consultation with a custody agreement lawyer.