Maryland Divorce & Family Law Attorneys
111 Rockville Pike, Suite #740 - Rockville, MD 20850

Help for the Non-Custodial Parent

There are many situations where two parents of a child are not living together. In some cases, they may have been married and are now separated or divorced. In other cases, the couple never married. Either way, all parents have some legal responsibility to their children unless it is taken away by the court. While much focus is placed on the custodial parent in the court system, the non-custodial parent also plays an important role in the child’s life. As the non-custodial parent, there is often a child support requirement. While a Maryland child custody attorney explained the requirements and importance of helping out financially every month, sometimes the money simply isn’t there. The individual may be unemployed or underemployed and can’t afford the payments due to lack of income. This puts the child at risk.

The State of Maryland has several programs designed to help non-custodial parents and young parents in particular. One of them is called the Young Fathers Employment Program. It is designed to help young unwed and expectant parents gain employment and education so that they can financially support their children and families without welfare assistance. In some cases, behavioral issues are addressed to help non-custodial parents become self-sufficient.

The Young Fathers Employment Program is open to non-custodial parents residing in Anne Arundel County, Baltimore City, Baltimore County, Montgomery County and Talbot County. Help is available for fathers who will soon be ordered to pay child support, have children in the Maryland Welfare System, are incarcerated and will be released within the next 90 days, are classified as ex-offenders, or whose children now receive Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF).

For more information about the program, contact the Maryland Department of Human Resources or call the corresponding city or county of residence where the program is available: Anne Arundel County, 410-269-4484; Baltimore City, 443-423-7264; Baltimore County, 410-853-3591; Montgomery County, 240-777-4006; or Talbot County, 410-770-4719.