Maryland Divorce & Family Law Attorneys
111 Rockville Pike, Suite #740 - Rockville, MD 20850

How Can Divorce and Separation Affect Your Credit Report?

Separation and divorce can be financially stressful. It’s challenging to go from a two-income household to a single-income household, especially when the amount of expenses either stays the same or increases because there are fewer resources and both parties are trying to manage housing and living expenses separately.


It can be difficult to find an apartment or get a new credit card during this time, especially if there are blemishes on your credit report. Depending on the circumstances, some marital debt may still be showing up on your credit history, even if you’re no longer involved in making the payments. During the marriage, you and your spouse may have applied for a number of loans, credit cards or mortgages together that now affect your individual credit. It is wise to consult a Maryland divorce lawyer to iron out exactly which items you are still financially responsible for and which ones can be removed from your obligation, and eventually your credit report. If you have moved out of your house, for example, the mortgage will still show up in your name until it is removed from the mortgage loan and the property title or until it is paid in full.


One of the common roots of disagreement when people split up and dissolve their marriage is that some bills get behind because the party responsible isn’t keeping up with the payments. This may be done on purpose, although it’s more often simply because there isn’t enough money to go around. For bills and credit cards that are in your name, as far as the creditor is concerned, you are still responsible for making the payments unless other arrangements are made. A separation agreement, divorce agreement or postnuptial agreement drawn up by a Montgomery County attorney can sometimes help to iron out which party is responsible for which bills. Blemishes can crop up on your credit report when bills are not being paid promptly if you are jointly listed on delinquent accounts.

Child and Spousal Support

If you owe spousal support or child support and it isn’t current, you could face problems with the Child Support Enforcement Agency. On the other hand, if you’re supposed to be getting child support or spousal support payments that are consistently late or don’t arrive at all, you may be able to get some relief through the Child Support Enforcement Agency. When financial and legal obligations are not met for support payments, a court order demanding that the back payments be made through wage garnishment can be enacted. If you need assistance in straightening out a child support or spousal support issues, a Maryland custody attorney can help you understand what your rights are and offer advice about your legal recourse.